I know, I know -- I shared a silly limerick on my last post, which probably led you to expect more of the same today. Sorry to disappoint, but this is my favorite of my poems and I really wanted to share it. It's for someone I've blogged about before. If you need a refresher, here's the post.
Don't forget to leave a link if you're posting something of yours today!
Grandmother
More than thirty years have flown
since fate first found me
dreaming in your nest.
You, all wrapped in cotton
shuffling slippered down the hall,
still tuck me in.
Bathroom lights reveal the pins
in curls that always envied mine,
and tissues in your sleeve.
Rings not ever parted from you
spin upon your sparrow’s hand
as diamonds pat my cheek.
Balm of favored lotion
soothes my heart and it’s as if
I’ve never gone.
Eyes in hollows forged by age
and illness ever present
smile and know me.
Bending down, you offer one last kiss
without a word
and I am eager.
Toothpaste and a hint of you
speak comfort always found
beneath your wing.
I wake and know the stone that bears
your name is all my lips
can ever touch.
Still, I sleep within your walls
and hoard your kisses
till we’re home again.
© 2003 Robin L. Rotham
Mr. Linky is acting up in the dead of night, so if he's still on the fritz, just leave a comment and I'll hunt you down. :D





18 comments:
Robin - that's beautiful. Immediately took me bakc into the arms of my grandmother.
yo wenchly - Emily, Lauren and Stak have theirs up now.
by the way i meant "back" not "bakc" but i bet you knew that, huh?
That's really cool, Robin.
I posted a poem today, too. This is a neat idea!!
Robin, this is a very moving piece. It really made me think of not just my grandmother, but of my mother as well. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks, Rhian -- there's just something about grandmothers, isn't there?
And Susan, thank you for hopping aboard!
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Christine -- thank you, too!
Beautiful poem, Robin. It made me sad because I never knew my grandparents, and can only imagine what I missed out on...
Love your EC cover, btw. Release date soon... Very exciting!!
I checked out your profile and noticed you like Nickelback. Me too! I could listen to that gravelly voice in my ear all night. Yum...
Well, Wylie, I have to say that not all grandparents are like my grandmother. I jokingly refer to my other grandmother as the evil one, only half the time I'm not joking. She scared the shit out of me even when I was twice her size -- at her funeral, her priest actually made reference to her sharp tongue, LOL!
Hey, I noticed you have a book coming from EC (your first with them?) in May, too. Congratulations!
As for Nickelback -- what woman in her right mind wouldn't want to listen to that gravelly voice all night?! (I say with wide eyes because, judging from comments on my posts about the group, there are quite a few who wouldn't -- to which I say :P:P:P)
Everyone run over to Erica's blog to read her uber funny sonnet.
Wow, great stuff! Mine isn't nearly so moving... Thanks for sharing!!
Sheeze, you can write poetry too? It just ain't far. Beautiful poem. I totally forgot to put one up. Probably for the best. :)
Rhian (and, of course, Erica), that was uber funny. Now I can't wait until next week to post my villanelle. :D
Thank you, Shelli -- and what am I going to do with you? We'll be discussing this negative self-talk in Dallas...
Absolutely beautiful.
Thank you, RG. My little grandmother was very inspiring.
you totally rock Robin. Thanks for coming up with this! I think this is going to be a great Monday read and perfect way to kickstart each week.
Very nice, Robin.
Brings back so many memories - just beautiful.
LOL, Rhian -- you were the one who was going to post a poem! I just wanted to play, too.
Thanks, Isa -- I'm glad I had something up here to counter the limerick's effects. :D
Oh, it makes me happy to hear that, Sam -- thanks.
oh. yeah. i forgot. i still blame you. grin.
Post a Comment